Request for Trademark Approval (Fedora AOS Spin)

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 23:01:25 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 2:25 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> Might I suggest, as an alternative to punching me in the head, actually
> *commenting on the draft* as I have repeatedly requested? ;-)

Honestly, if we aren't going to be comfortable with people turning off
certain "features" in a spin by default and removing some packages in
a way that does not break package dependency chains in the resultng
spin, then I doubt we are going to be comfortable with any other
material change in trademark policy that makes it easier for people to
use the marks.

How is what the AOS people want to do as a spin.. any different than
how we would expect as a best case scenario for people selling
pre-configured Fedora branded systems to handle user customization?
We aren't even dealing with a more complicated situation where there
is a post install script mucking with the system configs at the end of
the kickstart file.  Are we going to tell the guy across town from me
that he's not allowed to sell pre-configured Fedora systems with
selinux disabled and associated selinux tools removed...even if I as a
customer request him to do it for me?  All the AOS image is is a
pre-cooked configuration that our packaging configuration allows...no
different than what I could get from the guy across town..except for
the cost of having him do it for me...and the fact that the AOS guys
probably have a better idea of what they are doing.

If we are going to make some packages mandatory...then well..we should
make it mandatory though package requirements and not let anyone
remove those features post-install.  Make every single one of our
users deal with that requirement, instead of making this sort a thing
a blocker on trademark use.

-jef