Policy on DST

Lyos Gemini Norezel lyos.gemininorezel at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 18:19:23 UTC 2008

Karsten Wade wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 11:59:44AM -0500, Lyos Gemini Norezel wrote:
> I think this doesn't address the core problem, but please correct me
> if I'm wrong.
>
> For example, one set of teams choose a time standard that changes
> every six months, and another set of teams choose a time standard that
> is fixed.  This creates possibilities for meeting room conflict
> whenever DST is encountered.
>
> We could have a DST channel and a UTC channel, but that doesn't
> resolve the issue of everyone already lurking in only one channel.
>
> - Karsten

I don't think you understand the idea fully...

Let's see if I can explain this accurately.

Think of a spreadsheet...
  Using the existing table here:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Meetings  you add another column between
'Time in UTC' and 'Monday'...
     Label this column 'Time in $DST' (in this instance the variable
'$DST' will represent the user selected timezone/DST settings)...
      Then set up the needed mathematics to calculate the time in the
user's location.
Once that is complete... you would need to setup additional mathematics
that would allow the table to highlight other selections in the table
that would conflict with the users chosen time during DST dates/times.
This will allow the user to select a different time during DST.

This will allow the users to actually SEE problem areas and resolve the
issues themselves.

Mind you... this mess is only needed for those who do not understand UTC.

Lyos Gemini Norezel