redefining SIGs (old and new)

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Fri Feb 1 20:57:32 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 13:43 -0500, Greg DeKoenigsberg wrote:

> Again, I prefer simplicity.
>
> "SIG" = a loose group of folks trying to solve a problem.
>
> "Project" = a formalized team of people who are accountable to The Board
> for solving a particular problem.

Right.  I'm not pushing for creating new terms or (really) redefining
usage.  We need to look at what people are saying and adjust to fit
that, not the other way around.

We have a fair amount of understanding in the Project about those
meanings, but they are still somewhat confusing.  Some things are called
one when they are really the other.

When it comes to Jef's scheme, I think a different term is called for.
It *could* (and might best be) a usage of an already existing term.  For
example:

        Documentation, Marketing, Packaging, etc. == Core Projects
        KDE, Virtualization, Electronics, HAM Radio == Special Projects

That is, we continue to use the term "Project" to refer to something
more organized and accountable (for providing a service (Core) or a
feature (Special).

Anyway, that is just an off-the-top-o'-the-head idea.

Jef -- you do understand that a cool moniker is not just for the sake of
itself, right?  We're talking about making changes (!) and we need to be
wily in all ways, including co-opting existing memes.

> Seems to me that the "Packaging SIG" is really a "Packaging Project" by
> these guidelines.

Noticed that, eh?

- Karsten
--