Packaging collaboration between distributions

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Feb 9 17:53:09 UTC 2008

Hi,

A while back I noticed http://wiki.mandriva.com/en/Policies/Licensing
relying on Fedora licensing guidelines. This makes perfect sense since
we have comprehensive guidelines and listing of licenses but this isn't
a very active form of collaboration. Packaging between between
distributions differ unnecessarily on technical minutia that isn't a
selling point of any sort and just wastes time. Taking just RPM based
distributions, we have Fedora, Mandriva, OpenSUSE etc building a
packaging community on its own, they have differences in atleast the
following things:

  * Package names and granularity
  * Location of files
  * Unique Configuration files
  * Vendor macros

Trying to reuse spec files from other distributions tends to be a pain
because of this in many cases. Since the new rpm.org has now
successfully done a few releases consolidating patches from different
distributions, would it be possible to collaborate more on and
consolidate macros etc so that it makes it easy for distributions to
alteast share and reuse spec files as much as possible. Note that binary
compatibility is specifically not a goal here.

Obviously there are going to be differences in between distributions but
there should be a lot of common guidelines we can place in somewhere
like http://rpm.org/wiki/Packaging/Guidelines and just point out the
differences where applicable. We could setup a neutral
distribution-collaboration list and invite distributions to see what can
be done.Does that sound feasible? I would be very interested in helping
out.

Rahul