fedora interns 2008

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Mon Feb 18 22:08:38 UTC 2008

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:

> Maybe this isn't the year, but is there any interest in attempting to
> coordinate summer coding projects?
>
> Since such projects often come with specifications about how the
> student collaborates, my plan was to save some modular pieces from
> larger projects for them to focus on.  So the work on the module is
> "solo" or whatever the summer coding overlords require.  But the
> module is part of a greater whole.
>
> Could those modules be part of a project being worked on (ran by?)
> Fedora Interns?  I think so.
>
> Would this take even more pre-planning?  Yes.
>
> Good idea or bad?  Dunno.

In theory, I am in favor of your idea.  In practice, *I* can only commit
to making sure all the logistical/paperwork/HR stuff for these actual
interns gets through.  The *day to day* functions of those interns, and
accountability for their production, should be in the hands of Fedora
Engineering, IMHO.

As for any larger Summer Coding overaching project, I support anyone
willing to take a leadership role in that.  My contribution and focus
will be making sure that the interns that Red Hat directly pays for end
up producing work of value to Fedora (and therefore Red Hat).

--Max