What makes a spin a Spin?

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 14:18:12 UTC 2008

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Josh Boyer wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 04:09:30 -0600 (CST)
> Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:

> > > If only it were as simple as "get it going in mock".  Unfortunately,
> > > with how SELinux policy works in chroots (hint: it affects outside the
> > > chroot), this is pretty non-trivial and is going to require getting
> > > SELinux upstream on-board with allowing contexts to be set which aren't
> > > known by the kernel or per-namespace policy.
> > >

> > That's why I'm asking someone else to do it :)  Shouldn't it just work if
> > we just have all the builders in permissive mode?  Needless to say
> > maintaining whole machines just to build cd images seems silly, especially
> > for something like SELinux.
>
> I was under the impression that they were on-demand Xen guests.  Is
> this not the case?

They're up right now, and we can take them down, but bringing them back up
they still need updates, maintanence, backups from time to time.  And for
what?  Because we're making another excuse for SELinux?  /me not a fan of
that.  There's a right way to make spins, its on the builders in a chroot.

	-Mike