What makes a spin a Spin?

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 20:16:15 UTC 2008

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Josh Boyer wrote:

>> Creating a spin is just a matter of a kickstart file that anyone can
>> use livecd-creator on.
>>
>> Hosting a spin is an entirely separate set of questions.
>>
>> I am interested in promoting a lot of the first, but not in causing
>> Fedora burdens in the second.
>
> s/hosting/rel-eng created and hosted/ and I'm with you.  Having
> rel-eng create a spin and then not host it seems obviously silly, but
> I wanted to point out that it's more than just hosting.

Sure, I agree with you Josh.

My bottom line point is this:

The pace of innovation in Fedora makes it a given that people will want
to produce all sorts of custom .ks files.

You run those through livecd-creator and some of the results will be
great.  Some of them will be moderately useful.  Some of them will be
crap.  No matter what, it is ok, because it represents people working
with our tools and tinkering in our community.

If Fedora Rel-Eng wants to officially help with the creation of some of
the spins it finds most interesting, wonderful.  If Fedora QA wants to
help test some of the spins it finds most interesting, wonderful.  If
Fedora Infrastructure wants to host some of the spins it finds most
interesting, also fantastic.

If there are a whole bunch of spins that are hosted in non-official
places, and tested by the same communities of people that create them,
then that is also fine with me.

No one will *force* Fedora RelEng, QA, or Infrastructure to take on any
work they don't want.  Similarly, no one should tell the tinkerers to
stop playing or slow down.  That last thing is the *worst possible
action* that could be taken.

My .02,
Max