What makes a spin a Spin?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Feb 26 20:29:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 15:16:15 -0500 (EST)
Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com> wrote:

> If there are a whole bunch of spins that are hosted in non-official
> places, and tested by the same communities of people that create
> them, then that is also fine with me.
>
> No one will *force* Fedora RelEng, QA, or Infrastructure to take on
> any work they don't want.  Similarly, no one should tell the
> tinkerers to stop playing or slow down.  That last thing is the
> *worst possible action* that could be taken.

I agree to an extent.  My major concern is that we have... uncontrolled
innovation happening (which is great!) but the Fedora name and brand is
being attached to it, and we have no differentiation between something
the Fedora team has put out as a release through QA/Releng/Fedora
community testing/etc... and something somebody cooked up in the
backroom and threw over the wall.  I would want it to be clear that
somebody is consuming a "contrib" creation rather than a blessed spin.
And no, I don't really have any good ideas on how to make that
distinction outside of a second mark.

--
Jesse Keating