What makes a spin a Spin?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 21:18:58 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:44 AM, Greg DeKoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com> wrote:
>  My understanding was that no distro, derived from All Fedora Bits (tm) or
>  not, could not bear the Official Fedora Name unless it was blessed by the
>  board.
Correct

> Which probably implies blessed by QA and releng.  Did I
>  misunderstand the policy?  Has policy changed, and I'm unaware of it?

it means some sort of technical quality assurance.  Does it mean that
releng must be the group that does this?  It does if releng has the
will  and resources to do the work necessary to do the technical
review for all the spin proposals that come in the door.  From my
reading of jwb's emails and the proposal therein, that isn't what I
hearing.

>From my reading of jwb's proposal, I'm hearing that releng wants to be
responsible for vetting the few spins that we are going to make a big
deal about via hosting on our central server.  For the larger number
of more experimental or niche spins, there is a desire to see another
group do a technical assurance that lets such spins use the Fedora
trademarks in a blessed fashion.... but be hosted elsewhere.

So again, my reading of jwb's proposal in this thread is a two tier
technical review process.
First part is a baseline technical review by some group(maybe releng
maybe its not), that must be passed for spins to get access to the
marks...but not access to hosting and the publicity that comes with
that.

The second part would happen for the small number of spins that 'we'
think should be hosted centrally. At that point releng takes on the
responsibility of vetting that spin for technical quality.

If I'm reading jwb's proposal correctly, I'm perfectly fine with this
sort of process. I don't want to overwhelm releng with a lot of spin
proposals, and at the same time I don't want to block access to the
trademarks unnecessarily for a baseline technical review that could be
handled by a community group with less experience than embodied in
releng.  If we need to put another group together to do that first
analysis, I think we can do it by getting all the people working spins
now, to sit down and work out a mutual assistance plan as a necessary
step before we bless anymore spins.

-jef