What makes a spin a Spin?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 02:18:14 UTC 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 4:51 PM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> wrote:
>  So here is something I want the _Board_ to decided.  Do they want to
>  codify what falls into the official spins category and tell rel-eng, or
>  do they want to leave it up to rel-eng to suggest which spins should be
>  official?  IMHO, the Board should have final say in either case but the
>  initial recommendation should come from rel-eng.

I'm fine wih  rel-eng making recommendations as to what is deserving
for promotion to an officially hosted location.... as long as we have
the larger category of spins that exist which the Board can grant use
the trademarks to but are not promised hosting.

What I would think would be best here is that every release cycle,
infrastructure tells us how many spin images they can host. That
becomes the hard limit as to what we can do in that release period for
official spins. N spins for that release as a maximum. With that in
mind we take recommendations from rel-eng to fill that space up with
N-1 spins, with a mandate of making choices based primarily on quality
and diversity.  The board then rubber stamps those selections and has
the option of including one additional spin that rel-eng really really
hates.

Sound reasonable?
-jef