Fwd: Google Summer of Code 2008 is on!

Patrick W. Barnes nman64 at n-man.com
Wed Feb 27 07:41:04 UTC 2008

On Monday 25 February 2008, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:

> Yep, we've got some stuff started already:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerCoding
>
> (Patrick knows why I got started early this year, because of how it went
> last ...)
>
> We're going to discuss the Board's interest and commitment level
> tomorrow; I want to know how much energy we want to put behind it.
>
> The most important thing is:
>
> WE NEED GOOD PROJECT IDEAS
>
> ... then the kids can put in good proposals:
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SummerCoding/2008/Ideas

Assuming we are accepted, we can probably expect 3-6 slots, based upon past
years.  It shouldn't be hard to come up with enough ideas, we just need to
make sure that the ideas we present are solid and that there is someone
available to serve as a mentor for each.

The time requirements for mentors will vary, but it is typically a very light
load.  Anyone who can spare a few hours a week is very welcome to volunteer.

As for project scope, we'll probably see the best results with projects that
can be fully completed over the summer, though that's not a requirement.
Getting a larger project started or making dedicated progress on an existing
project might also be good uses of the time.

While I still believe that the Summer of Code is a great program and an
excellent opportunity, I would also caution against putting too much energy
into it.  We probably won't get many slots, and even with 100% success, the
overall gains to the project probably won't be drastic.  We just need to give
a little time and effort to make the best possible use of the opportunity.

--
Patrick "The N-Man" Barnes
nman64 at n-man.com

http://n-man.com/