closing out old bugs of unmaintained releases

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jan 8 23:49:15 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 23:20 +0100, Christian Iseli wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jan 2008 21:53:23 +0000, David Woodhouse wrote:
> > I welcome the non-programmers who volunteer to package software, and
> > their work is very valuable -- but it really isn't going to turn out
> > well for Fedora if we prioritise quantity over quality to the extent
> > that we end up shipping packages which we can't _properly_ maintain.
> >
> > The quote I posted earlier in this thread ("this is a bug in the
> > software, not the packaging") is taken verbatim from bugzilla, and I
> > find it extremely shocking. We have to do better than this, really.
> > Either that or go back to having a clear 'second class' repository
> > again, which I don't think we really want.
>
> Agreed.

Concur.

> > Perhaps one option would be for non-programmer packagers to team up
> > with a programmer/sponsor to take on the task of package maintenance?
> > Where currently a package has one 'owner', there would instead be two
> > rôles -- a 'packager' and potentially a separate 'hacker'. Those
> > wanting to package software which they can't fully maintain for
> > themselves would have to recruit a programmer-type to sign up for the
> > job with them.
>
> I like this idea.  And I know we have very capable programmers who
> already offered to help squash bugs in various source code dialects.

As do I.  I have the ability to fix a few easier target bugs in the
software I maintain, but not harder ones.  For instance, the recent
changes WRT gio would only boggle me.  But Matthias Clasen has been kind
enough to give me some pointers to fix those problems, and that has
helped, or will help in some cases, a lot.  I know that I can't be the
only person in that situation.

           Fedora Project: http://pfrields.fedorapeople.org/