permission to use spec files in other projects

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Jan 2 16:51:19 UTC 2008

Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong, but the CLA doesn't give 3rd partys that get
> Software from Fedora any rights as the CLA is a contract between
> Contributers and Fedora/Red Hat. Thus if my neighbor gets spec files
> from Fedora then he can't know if what he got is bound to the CLA.

You're wrong. :)

Even though the CLA is a contract between contributors and Fedora, it
explicitly grants rights to Red Hat _and_ all recipients of the
Contributed works (aka Fedora).

To me, this seems like more of a documentation issue, and less of a "the
license on spec files is now FOO" issue, since the CLA already has that
covered.

~spot