dormant bugs and our perception

Greg DeKoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Wed Jan 2 17:53:38 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2 Jan 2008, Jeff Spaleta wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2008 7:29 AM, Greg DeKoenigsberg <gdk at redhat.com> wrote:
>> And since Luis was adamant about going back to law school, instead of
>> taking the prestigious Fedora bugmastering job... :)
>
> So... how..where.. do we advertise and recruit for a volunteer
> leadership position that we all agree we need (and one that none of the
> usual suspects wants to do?)
>
> What completely unrealistic promises do I need to make to get someone
> to do this position for 6 months?

Well, here's the truth, as I see it.  This may or may not be an
inducement, and may need to be wordsmithed, but I think it's correct:

Some positions at Red Hat don't materialize until the community proves
their value -- and then the chief deliverer of said value says "I'll stop
delivering all this value if you don't hire me."  Bugmastery is probably
the *perfect* example of this kind of position.

> If I promised them a one of a kind t-shirt would that help?  Sort of
> like the Tour  De France Gold Jersey?  We hand out a gold bugmaster
> t-shirt every 6 months to someone brave enough to take the lead in
> that area for that period of time?

See the world.  A free trip to every FUDCon worldwide to speak and
recruit.

> Can we commit to giving the bug master significant billing in the
> release notes for the release coming out at the end of his/her 6 month
> tenure?

Sure.

--g

--