dormant bugs and our perception

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Wed Jan 2 22:14:23 UTC 2008

Jon Stanley said the following on 01/02/2008 01:54 PM Pacific Time:
> If it would help I was thinking of trying to make my way to FUDcon
> Raleigh to further this cause - I think it may be premature, though.
> I live in NYC, so airfare is cheap still.

Yes!  Please come to FUDCon.  I am planning on being there and have been
ruminating for a while on how to make this area work better.  I am also
working on a proposal[1] for a bugzilla process flow and policy to cover
how the Fedora project triages and resolves open bugs for:
   1) unsupported releases--Fedora(Core) <= 6
   2) supported releases--Fedora 7 & 8
   3) releases under development--rawhide/Fedora 9

Unlike others that have posted here, I am less optimistic that we can
viably review and address all 13,000+ open bugs.  We need to do
something drastic to clear the deck and start a process that insures
that we don't end up in this hole again.  I think this huge backlog is
one of the biggest psychological de-motivators we have!

In other words, we need to create a solid plan with input from lots of
people and then execute it.  FUDCon would be a great place to get
started.... not sure if this is a hackfest or barcamp topic.

John

[1] I'll post to the wiki and announce once I have something of
substance.  Most likely not until next week.