Fedora Bugzilla Instance (was dormant bugs and our perception)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 21:01:26 UTC 2008

On Jan 3, 2008 9:59 AM, Christopher Aillon <caillon at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 01/03/2008 05:25 PM, John Poelstra wrote:
> > First someone needs to come up with a *compelling* business case for
> > *why* a separate bugzilla instance would truly make things better for
> > Fedora.
>
> *Business* case?

The business case is simple:

1) The two projects have competing interests due to NDA's etc for what
bugs might or might not be public. Seperating the data completely
should be  a safer position than trying to manage it in one data set.

2) The ability to 'hack' the bug system to meet Fedora needs is
limited because it may break Red Hat issues that are covered under
various laws and regulations they must follow. Seperating them makes a
better business case.

3) Less headaches for Red Hat IS when they have enough on their plate.

Now I don't know what the timeline for Bugzilla 3.0 or if that one
will have the pump and flow mechanism of being able to link bugs from
one bugzilla instance to another (gnome to fedora, fedora to gnome,
etc etc) so that duplicates can be handled better...

I know that isn't formal business case language.. but would have been
good enough in the old days (dag-nabbit) to get a project on the list
to be green/red lighted