closing out old bugs of unmaintained releases

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Sat Jan 5 12:28:32 UTC 2008

On 05.01.2008 13:04, David Woodhouse wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-01-04 at 13:45 -0500, Jon Stanley wrote:
>> I can put some time this weekend into closing out old bugs, however,
>> before doing so, I wanted to make sure that our messaging is crystal
>> clear.
>
> I've got a better idea. Let's just close _all_ the non-packaging bugs,
> even current ones, with a message such as the following:
> 	This is a bug in the software, not the packaging.  This needs to
> 	be reported to the $PACKAGE author, not to me, the Fedora
> 	packager.
> Wouldn't that be a great thing for Fedora? We could reduce the bug count
> to almost zero overnight!

A +0.66 from me

In fact, something like the above is what I always do and did for my
packages (and had to do, as I'm a package-monkey and no developer).

IOW: if it's not a packaging bug or otherwise specific to Fedora I asked
the reported to report the bug upstream, as the bug gets fixed for
everyone then -- that includes other distributions and thus is the best
for everyone and avoid double work in our current world with
fivehundred-and-more distributions. If the reported didn't forward the
bug upstream I did it if the bug looked worth forwarding.

But only +0,66 and not +1 here, because we ship some packages with quite
a lot of patches -- kernel and part from the Xorg-stack for example
afaics. For those packages Fedora's bugzilla likely needs to remain the
first point for a report as long as we ship intrusive patches.

Just my 2 cent.

Cu
knurd