closing out old bugs of unmaintained releases

Thorsten Leemhuis fedora at leemhuis.info
Wed Jan 9 09:09:27 UTC 2008

On 09.01.2008 09:39, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 07:16:22 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>> On 08.01.2008 22:53, David Woodhouse wrote:
>>> Perhaps one option would be for non-programmer packagers to team up with
>>> a programmer/sponsor to take on the task of package maintenance?
>> Don't put more bureaucracy or hurdles in the way. That won't scale and
>> will frustrate people and some will feel a second-class citizen
> Not just that, it is completely unrealistic to hope that there would be
> enough volunteers to fill the "programmer/sponsor" role. [...]

+1

>> What
>> IMHO would be good instead of what you outline: groups of people (SIGs)
>> a package-monkey can contact if he needs help to fix or improve
>> something needs programming skills.
> Is it necessary to increase complexity of the Fedora Project's structure
> by adding lots of small SIGs like that? The Wiki pages are really
> troublesome already because it has become increasingly difficult to
> navigate in them and find what you are looking for. Additionally, there's
> still the problem of over-complex page layout, such as pseudo-menus that
> use tables and include files. I'd rather suggest that packagers request
> assistance on fedora-devel-list or via some keyword/feature in bugzilla.

Hmmm. SIGs for me are not part of "Fedora Project's structure" -- they
are just a loose group of people that simply do something without formal
structure (they can have one if they want of course). Sure, most SIGs
have a page in the Wiki for advertising and tracking, but there is iirc
no rule "SIGs must have a page in the wiki".

CU
knurd