"Action Items" From FUDCon?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Mon Jan 14 06:57:15 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jan 13, 2008 at 06:42:37PM -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Jan 13, 2008 3:28 PM, Mike McGrath <mmcgrath at redhat.com> wrote:
> > Can anyone think of any action items the infrastructure team (or others
> > for that matter) may need to do as a result of discussions during
> > hackfest/fudcon?
>
> figure out how to get koji to write back an immutable unique tag back
> into cvs for each non-scratch koji build that completes.  Or something
> equivalent so we can regenerate srpms from cvs reasonably easily for
> any package version we have released.  There is an issue right now
> with forced retagging in cvs still being possible which means we can't
> rely on the tags that get created when a contributor does a make tag.

I would consider "forced retagging" a feature not a bug. Otherwise for
each failed build during development you get a release tag inflation
with no useful %changelog entries (sure one can pile up all comments
about how many bugs one introduced during an upgrade of a package, but
that's not what the %changelog is about ;).

And having scratch builds to avoid this and a proper one at the end
sounds like too much CPU cycles burning.

But I fully agree on the need to have a reproducable method for
packages. Just don't remove the retagging *feature* for packagers :)
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net