Fedora Board Recap 2007-JAN-13

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 03:18:32 UTC 2008

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 11:34:00 -0800
John Poelstra <poelstra at redhat.com> wrote:

> == More Tools to Improve Package Quality ==
>   * Renew call to improve tools such as rpmdiff to catch additional
> packaging bugs.

You need more people much more than better tools.  Incoming reviews are
already handled by too few (but awesome!) people.  Audits of existing
packages (e.g. making sure people continue to follow the guidelines or
adapt existing packages to new guidelines) are virtually non-existent.

Automation and better tooling will perhaps attract more to do reviews
and audits, but it will only go so far.  Reviewing is fairly thankless
work, which is something that will need to be corrected somehow
(hand-waving here) if we want to encourage more people to do it.

josh