Fedora account restrictions

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat Jan 19 18:10:03 UTC 2008

On Jan 18, 2008 6:33 PM, Matt Domsch <matt at domsch.com> wrote:
> Agreed.  Other projects (Linux Kernel for example) have the same
> rule, for the same reason.

Does the upstream linux kernel require a CLA?  Or CLA model is closely
modeled on apache, I wonder if Apache allows it.   But regardless...
let's figure out what exactly are we talking about in context.

We are talking about not making the real name of a person publically
known.  All the same information is in the FAS system, including the
person's name, physical address and phone number.  Out of all the
personal identifying information the only thing we currently leak
through publically accessible interfaces is the peron's real name.  If
we, on request, allowed a nickname to be displayed in place of the
real name how is that less accountable?  We rely primarily on emails
and irc nicks for the majority of communication for day-to-day
business. That stuff has absolutely no correlation with a person's
real name, even the fas account name is not required to encode the
person's real name.

If there was ever a problem that required tracking down a contributor,
we would be relying on privileged information to do it... either the
phone number or the physical address... things we aren't making
publically searchable.

-jef"fakemaxspevack"spaleta