Fedora account restrictions

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net
Sun Jan 20 08:30:36 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 06:35:08AM +0800, David Woodhouse wrote:
> Others may disagree with me and allow you to contribute, of course -- s
> I said, it's not my decision. Or maybe you can find a package-monkey to
> volunteer to do the Fedora commits/builds/etc. for you, while you do the
> real work of maintaining the package?

I agree with David and Tom - if a package screws up my system I need
to be able to identify immediately from the changelogs who messed up
with it and be able to conmtact him/her. And not have some pseudonyms
making me hunt through FAS or possibly even with a request to a real
person protecting this data.

David's suggestion of a Fedora proxy/guardian who will review any
submitted work (i.e. will be able to vouch on this like if it were his
submission and therefore be held accountable at the end) is perhaps
the golden compromise here. In this sense it is not just a package
monkey, as the proxy will have to be able to sign off this work as if
it were his own, so needs to dig as deep into it as possible
(reviewing patches, verifying tarballs and the whole package)

So my advise to ffm: Find one or two Fedorans that you can trust your
identity with and that are working on the same subject like you do
(OLPC?) and submit them your work for review until you get 18. The
changelogs  should be under the Fedorian guardian's name, but can
mention the sourse with a pseudonym. For example

* Sun Jan 20 2008 David Woodhouse <some at mail> - 1.1.1-1
- Upgrade to 1.1.1 (by ffm).

Once you turn 18 you can officially ask for taking over the packages
you have been indirectly maintaining and the Fedora guardian(s) will
pass them over.

Given that the Fedora guardian will have to invest some work to pass
your work through you usually would not be able to find too many
volunteering people, but the echo in this thread has been very
positive, so you still have very good chances!
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net