Fedora account restrictions

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 16:43:13 UTC 2008

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:32:14 -0500
> "Russell Harrison" <rtlm10 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> My understanding is that he isn't requesting to remain anonymous to
>> the Fedora Project.  He's requesting that his name not be used in
>> places visible to the Internet at large.  I'm not suggesting that we
>> allow anonymous contributions.  I'm looking for a way to keep the
>> personal data of a minor available to only fp members or a subset of
>> members.  I do feel its important that all contributions be connected
>> to an actual person.  Does that mean we have to broadcast that name to
>> the rest of the Internet?
>
> Not necessarily.  However I wouldn't feel comfortable stating that we
> would keep it secret and then be on the hook should something happen
> and it no longer be secret.  It's one thing to say we'll make every
> attempt, but it's another to say we'll keep it private.

+1
> Add to that
> convenient tools we have like IRC bots that can look up somebody's
> Fedora account name and spit out their listed name and email address
> for the sake of contacting them.  That's basically public information,
> it would take a lot of work to turn that private.

Depending on what we're trying to keep hidden we could do something like
store a psseudonym in the human_name field of FAS; real email address;
real IRC nick.  phone#, address, and real human_name could be saved in
the internal_comments field where normal apps don't go poking around.

Note that there's nothing preventing an app from getting information
from internal_comments, just that nothing currently does (or has any
reason to).

-Toshio