draft proposal for large additions of code into Fedora

Max Spevack mspevack at redhat.com
Tue Jan 29 22:58:22 UTC 2008

We already have a process in place for how to get a brand new package
into Fedora.  This email is not about that.

This email is about putting in place some basic guidelines for a large
amount of code to come into Fedora and carry the Fedora name.

It is hypothetical -- imagine the following scenario:

We go back in time to the day when Red Hat acquired the Directory Server
product from Netscape.  Red Hat's intention was to (1) open source all
the code and (2) create the Fedora directory server.

There wasn't really any guideline in place for any of that.  Things have
turned out ok a few years later, but we should try to learn from the
past.

What if this were happening today?  How would we want it done?

====

1.  The upstream should be somewhere public (Sourceforge, Fedora Hosted,
etc.)

2.  All the code is under a license that is Fedora-compliant.

3.  There is a public roadmap showing the packaging strategy and how
that code will be brought into Koji and the Fedora repositories.

4.  The maintainers of the code have Fedora accounts.

5.  The Board says yes (to allowing something to have the Fedora name).

====

What else?  Is the objective that I'm looking for clear?

--Max