New Fedora Privacy Policy

Matt Domsch matt at domsch.com
Thu Jul 17 03:50:23 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 10:40:32PM -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:
> I agree with everything except the specific IP address thing.  I really
> don't get why anyone should care, nor why it intended to be public data
> already.  You can diagnose and divulge geographic information from it,
> yes, but why does the actual IP itself need to be public?

because enough tools collect an IP address of the connection they're
talking to that it would be difficult to prevent that data from
becoming public.  It's often in the Received headers of email messages
for example.

We're going through this with the whole mirror security thing.  The
only thing we can't prevent is a mirror getting to see the IP address
of the client that is connecting to it (without the client using
something like Tor).

-Matt