Interesting Idea for MinGW

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 17:32:22 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 17:34 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 09:05:09AM -0400, Scott Glaser wrote:
> > I came up with an interesting idea for MinGW, Could it be developed into
> > and application that could be installed on a U3 device? My idea would be
> > to have MinGW as an application on a U3 drive with a live persistent
> > image installed on the storage side of the device.
>
> 'MinGW' (ie. gcc, the various binutils) is a Fedora native
> application.  It doesn't run on Windows, assuming that's what you
> meant.
>
> > I could see this a beneficial as a user that is stuck in a Windows
> > environment could plug in the U3 device, execute the MinGW application
> > and run Fedora from the image installed on the storage side of the
> > device.
>
> You're right though that there is a case where MinGW helps people
> stuck in Windows -- I have a Windows machine here that I use to build
> libvirt, which I would *dearly* love to convert to a Fedora box.
> Having MinGW in Fedora provides a path for Windows developers to
> switch to Fedora.

Richard,

Hopefully you're working with the rest of the cross-compiling SIG to
draft a proposal to FESCo on how to handle cross compiling in Fedora?
Jef Spaleta has some interest in this topic (as well as others, I'm
sure).  Since the new FESCo meets for the first time this week, it's an
excellent chance to get them off on the right track, with a technical
proposal.

--
Paul W. Frields