Tracking contributions

Jonathan Roberts jonrob at fedoraproject.org
Tue Jun 3 19:22:23 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 03 June 2008 20:01:04 Greg Dekoenigsberg wrote:
> My brief answer: better tools.  A more detailed answer inline.
>
> On Mon, 2 Jun 2008, Josh Boyer wrote:
> > On Mon, 2 Jun 2008 12:41:10 -0800

+1 - I'm not exactly experienced when it comes to running volunteer projects,
but it seems to me that just as effective as tracking individual contributors
efforts would be paying careful attention to what actually gets done,
regardless of who does it. And I'm quietly confident that SIGs etc know when
they need extra help/more hands and are pretty capable of pushing for more
recruits themselves.

And with regard to being able to reward contributors who are working hard:
imho the best way to do this is for those you've worked with to say thanks in
a public place. Mike McGrath's recent post thanking Ian Weller etc for their
hard work with respect to the wiki was a great example of this, and I'm sure
meant a lot to those involved; another great example are the lesser known
contributor posts Max and Paul have run over recent times.

Best,

Jon