Fedora Board election results

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 17:26:58 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 9:12 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Why do you want to know about the percentage of Red Hat voters vs.
> community?
>
> Or, put another way, what difference does that distinction make?  Should
> we get the same data for Dell and IBM (as they have separate CLAs like
> Red Hat)?
>
> IMHO, a voter's employer just doesn't matter.

You have stated an ideal, but its not the current reality.  It
shouldn't matter... but it does...deep down in people's brains the
distinction matters.  The fact is Mike's initial comment very much
grounded in the distinction between inside Red Hat and outside.   In
fact we've made quite a big deal that we have more external
contributors then red hat contributors.  We continue to draw a
distinction between these groups in our efforts to point out there's
no distinction.  With that in mind I want a picture of the breakdown
between redhat and non-redhat voters so I can know if we have done an
appropriate job communicating the importance of the board elections
out into the external community.  If there is a significant voting
imbalance, we find it, then we take steps to make that identified
imbalance go away next time by getting feedback from that segment of
the community sooner rather than later.

-jef