Fedora Board election results

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Jun 24 20:14:12 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 2:02 PM, Max Spevack <mspevack at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jun 2008, Michael Schwendt wrote:
>
>> Further, Red Hat fills several board seats anyway. Fedora is Red Hat's
>> baby. Red Hat still has to prove how serious they take the Fedora community.
>
> I don't want to hijack the thread, but if you compare the investments made
> into Fedora and the commitment to the community of Red Hat in 2005 and Red
> Hat in 2008, what questions do you have about Red Hat being serious about
> Fedora?
>
> Our daily operational budget has been multiplied about five or six fold
> (community architecture + fedora infrastructure budget) compared to when I
> started as the FPL.
>
> Furthermore, the number of full-time employees working directly on Fedora
> has increased significantly over the past 2-3 years, with basically every
> single hire coming from the Fedora community, and expanded roles being
> created from within Red Hat (like Spot's new job, for example, as Fedora
> Engineering Manager).
>
> Maybe it doesn't look like it from the outside, but Fedora has gotten a huge
> amount of investment, comparatively, over the past few years, and that
> investment continues.
>
> What else would you like to see from Red Hat to prove that it takes Fedora
> and community seriously?  I'm not trolling, I really want to konw, so that I
> can work on making it happen.

Personally, I don't think Red Hat needs to publish anything but I own
stock in the company so am probably biased. I would like to support
Open Book Management.. even though Fedora is not a separate
company/organization/etc treat it as such. Publish on the quarter how
much was spent on salaries, hosting, equiptment, health care, etc etc.
Treat everyone who has signed the CLA as stockholders/employees for
this separate organization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-book_management
http://www.inc.com/guides/hr/23178.html

--