Fedora Board election results

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 01:06:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 20:45 -0400, seth vidal wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 22:54 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
>
> > But three of those four elected are Red Hat employees for whom working
> > and contributing to Fedora is part of their job (afaik; but is it the
> > case for Seth? not completely sure, sorry. But he is well known in
> > Fedora though Yum, so that might be and important factor);
>

> This is not an unfair point. Being able to spend all your time on
> something does make it more likely you'll be well known.

It's only unfair in one aspect; it targets Red Hat without targeting
other employers.  What if someone at Dell were paid to work full time on
Fedora?  They would obviously reap the same visibility benefits as a Red
Hat employee working on Fedora.

It is becoming more and more common for companies to invest man hours
into open source projects.  I do not see this trend changing drastically
in the near future, so it's something projects such as Fedora are going
to have to come to terms with in some form.

Fedora has come a long way since Seth was building packages for Extras
by hand.  Our build system, compose tools, updates tools, build
machines, CVS repository, etc have all had significant monetary and man
hour investment from Red Hat.  I sincerely _hope_ that as Fedora grows,
we get similar contributions from other companies or community members
because none of this is cheap and without it our growth would not have
been as rapid or successful.

josh