Fedora Board election results

Michael Schwendt bugs.michael at gmx.net
Wed Jun 25 00:31:29 UTC 2008

On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 15:42:38 -0700, John Poelstra wrote:

> Michael Schwendt said the following on 06/24/2008 02:18 PM Pacific Time:
> > On Tue, 24 Jun 2008 16:02:04 -0400 (EDT), Max Spevack wrote:
> >
> >> What else would you like to see from Red Hat to prove that it takes
> >> Fedora and community seriously?  I'm not trolling, I really want to
> >> konw, so that I can work on making it happen.
> >
> > What I mean is that almost all Fedora related decisions come out of Red
> > Hat anyway. The few +1 from community seats during FPB meetings don't
>
> Can  you provide some examples where this happened in the last six
> months?  That would help me understand more where you are coming from.

The "Fedora Board Recap" minutes posted here, and not limited to the last
six months (and not limited to the FPB either). I don't think there is big
activity from the people who hold the community seats (with 1-2 exceptions
maybe), and it's uninteresting to see people nod something through.
If everyone's in agreement, does it matter who I vote for?

As I see it, the people employed by Red Hat [can] spend much more time on
these things than the elected community reps. Additional people from Red
Hat, who occupy other roles and don't hold seats in the FPB, are much more
present and active, too. The same names also appear in the longest threads
on mailing-lists, even if it's just about release codenames. Makes people
think "fine, let them run the show, especially if it's their job and if
they seem to have the time to do it". It's not as if the major activity
must come from within the community. It's not a community project, but a
Red Hat sponsored project trying to win community volunteers for some
areas. If the investment of the community into the project increases,
then elections (and quorum'n'stuff) get more interesting.

Do you remember any important decision where the FPB didn't reach quorum
because of strong disagreement between non-RH and RH members?

> > matter, do they? They are just noise. It gets more interesting if a
> > community rep drives something forward. Or if there is disagreement
> > between Red Hat's FPB members and community reps or lobbyists. If
> > necessary, do the people on the community seats have the guts to represent
> > the community's interests? If they don't, what about accountability?
>
> I think it would really help your case to put forth some specific
> examples of when this has or has not happened recently.
>
> Maybe I'm not following what you're saying,

Looks like you're biased and in "defensive mode" already. What I'm saying,
in other words, is that the election is rather uninteresting. So
uninteresting that loading the web page and taking the time to vote may be
considered a waste of time already. One can try little games like Greg
and vote for non-RH candidates only, but one could also throw dice and
pick random candidates.