Fedora Board election results

inode0 inode0 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 19:34:10 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 2:04 PM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 10:29 AM, inode0 <inode0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> We can't hold your feet to the fire if you won't tell us what you do. :)
>
> Actually you can and as a community you must!
>
> If there are issues that you feel are not being addressed by any
> existing group... you bring them to the board.. and we figure out how
> to address the issue. We might task you with creating a policy draft,
> we might take the issue to an existing group and bully them into
> dealing with it.. or we might stand up a whole new community group to
> find consensus and do the necessary work.  But we do all of that at
> the urging of community members.  If people are not bringing issues
> forward.. then we have to assume things are working smoothly and there
> is absolutely no reason for us to meddle.

We keep going from the specific to the general. I have been discussing
one specific issue, fedora board elections. I have asked specific
questions about how the Fedora community is expected to arrive at a
vote within the current system. I am not getting any suggestions that
I don't perceive to be the equivalent of tossing darts at the
phonebook.

> ... snip ...
> If community members are not bringing issues forward, then the
> community is not doing its part.  The Board is a construct meant to be
> responsive to project needs.  if those needs are not brought forward,
> then basically the best candidate ends up being people with certified
> mind-reading abilities.  Sitting on your hands, expecting candidates
> to know what you are looking for is quite frankly pathetic. Challenge
> them, challenge the sitting board, by putting issues forward and
> explaining your frustrations in a timely manner.  Ask the candidates
> pointedly what they think about those issues.  Don't evaluate what
> issues candidates think are important...evaluate what a candidate
> thinks about the issues which are important to you as the community.
> Bring those issues to the table, and demand the Board and the Board
> candidates talk about them.

So you expect each voter to have a lengthy chat with 5, 10, 20
candidates in a 10 day voting period. How do you see that working? I
am hearing a nice explanation of the general parameters governing what
the board does and how the Fedora community can interact with the
board. That is all great information. I don't see how that is relevant
in the limited context of board elections.

John