Fedora Board election results

Karsten 'quaid' Wade kwade at redhat.com
Wed Jun 25 21:42:20 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 13:41 -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> I can agree with this also. Where I was raised, a person who nominated
> themselves was the worst person to run something.

I want to pull this out for discussion.

It seems like there is a spectrum here, rather than one or two set ways
of being.

For example, you and John have concerns about self-nomination being
abhorrent to people.  In cultures where that is more normal, how many
people just go ask someone to nominate them?  Is that taboo as well?

On one end are people who just won't put themselves forward as leaders,
despite their obvious qualities.

On the other end are people who will always put themselves forward as
leaders, regardless of their qualities.

In Fedora, we have a huge mix of cultures, and yes, you are going to
find that some specific cultures typically do not put themselves
forward, out of modesty, etc.  Then the people from that culture who do
are either as you say (least trustworthy) or they people who have
adapted the most to another culture that dominates the election
methodology.

But yet, in places known for their modesty, be they South Carolina or
Japan, there are people who run for office, are elected, and do either a
good, bad, or so-so job.  How do we account for all of that?

FWIW, I'm deeply concerned that our Fedora way of doing democracy is
very different than what other countries need.  I've no idea if we can
do one overarching governance system that appeals to all cultural
backgrounds.  Hopefully, the process can be localized in terms of
culturen where people interact more closely, such as the subProject/SIG
level.

- Karsten
Fedora : http://quaid.fedorapeople.org
gpg key : AD0E0C41