Draft Proposal: Spin Submission and Approval Process

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Mar 4 21:17:05 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 11:57 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> The Fedora community will have access to approved kickstart files so
> that they can make local builds of the spins as needed (through cvs,
> website, and perhaps as a package).  If a spin maintainer has the
> ability to host their own spin binary images, they will be allowed to
> link to such binaries (and signatures) from the community contributed
> spins once the peer group of Spin Maintainers certifies that the
> signatures for the binaries are correct.

What are the signatures you're referring to here?

> :::Release Selection and Released Spins:
> Released Spins is a tightly controlled space of releng vetted spins
> that are available for download in binary form as part of the Fedora
> release process(centrally managed torrent and/or mirrors).  The
> purpose of this space is to make best use of available project
> infrastructure to provide a diverse selection of high quality spins

I would avoid the term 'high quality' here, as it would seem to indicate
that the spins in the Kickstart Pool are of low quality.  I think a more
correct term here would be 'popular' or some other term to indicate that
a large majority of our users want it, and thus it makes sense to spend
infrastructure and people costs on them.

> -------
> Question for Spin Maintainers:
> What is the best way of generating the manifest of SRPM's used in the
> packageset that makes a Spin?  And can we do it in a web friendly way
> that links back to packagedb information?

Ideally this would be a feature of the creation tool.  It should be able
to spit out a list of packages used.  It would go along with the other
feature I wanted to add, the optional gathering of the srpms used into a
directory for distribution along with the live image.

--
Jesse Keating