Draft Proposal: Spin Submission and Approval Process

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Wed Mar 5 03:06:38 UTC 2008

> Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 11:57 AM, Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>  2) We need to create a space in cvs for contributed kickstart files
> >
> > Let me expand on this. This should actually say cvs space and bugzilla
> > component.
> > I pretty much agree with what Jeremy put in his strawman draft
> > concerning cvs and bugzilla.
>
> What purpose does bugzilla components for every spin serve? End users
> will start filing bugs/feature requests that should have filed against
> the individual packages against the generic bugzilla components and spin
> maintainers would be unnecessarily acting as middle men. I would prefer
> some other medium for feedback/ requests on actual spin changes.

If you don't, then they'll file them just against "LiveCD" or
"distribution".  There's no way that scales.  Even with the small number
of released and officially blessed spins, I often have to go and look up
exactly which email addresses I want to reassign, eg, a KDE Live image
bug to.  Far better to have "KDE LiveCD", click reassign, and then let
them deal with it.

Yes, it means being a middle man, but that's one of the things you're
sort of signing up for when you want to maintain a spin.  Analagous to
how you're signing up to be the middle man between Fedora users and
upstream when you sign up to maintain a package.

Jeremy