Proposal: Fedora at Home Project

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 19:29:18 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-03-10 at 10:45 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> >  Do you mean a custom Fedora spin?  I'd love eventually to have this as a
> >  first-boot option on a standard Fedora distribution where users can
> >  opt-in to donating CPU cycles.
>
> That sort of discussion is a ways out I think, but its probably
> appropriate as a vision statement in your SIGs page.

+1.

> >  To clarify: if we host the live scheduler at Fedora, would we still
> >  brand this as a Fedora project even if we support having other platforms
> >  donate CPU cycles?
>

> An actual scheduler service that runs on Fedora project
> infrastructure... yes I would support branding it as a Fedora project.
> Since I've no idea what is needed to actual host a scheduler, you'll
> have to have a discussion with infrastructure concerning required
> resources and then bring a summary of that discussion back to fab.
> I'd want to know what the resource burn for a scheduler is expected to
> be.  If we are doing a scientific task initially, do we have to commit
> to storing a large data or results set on Fedora infrastructure as
> well as the scheduler?

Even though this is a longer-term issue too, this is a good point:  that
Fedora infrastructure doesn't come from thin air -- it all costs money
and people-time (some paid, some volunteer) to deploy and maintain.
Depending on the taskings and the number of clients, this can be a
pretty demanding load.

As part of the long-term SIG vision it would also be appropriate to
think about where to get funding/equipment/storage to support the
eventual roll-out, pursuant to the goals you hope to achieve at that
time.