Draft Proposal: Spin Submission and Approval Process

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 20:38:08 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Josh Boyer <jwboyer at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Waiting on some kind of outcome for the "what do we declare an official
>  spin that gets hosted" question.  Or what I've been calling "Featured
>  Spins".  Many people feel localized spins don't fit that category.

So here's the beauty of the proposal... that definition  of "Featured
Spins" can change with each release.  And just as importantly.. I'm
trying to setup a process that gives the final say as to what to host
on Fedora infrastructure to releng by making those choices something
we do as part of the release process and not a rolling set of choices.
  There's room to build more policy around this, as long as we keep
things balanced with an eye towards diversity.  For example if releng
feels that 'desktop' and 'development' spins need to be commitments
for every release, we can talk about that, and exempt them from the
Selection Process... if we can get a commitment from infrastructure to
set aside enough space for at least 4 spins. For each spin we
enshrine, space for reviewable spin.  This way we continue to have the
ability to have a diverse set of spin concepts.  In fact we might even
be able to talk about a process of enshrining spins if they were
selected for release 3 releases in a row or if we don't have the
infrastructure to commit to enshrining them, then we kick them out and
make room for another concept in the next release cycle.

We simply are not going to have the resources to host a lot of
localized spins. We just aren't.. not gonna happen....never ever.
There's no way to be completely fair about it either. So since we
can't be fair about it, then we have to be smart about it and host a
particular localized spin for a particular release when it makes sense
to do so for non technical reasons.

Here's is where the Board's ability to choose one spin for Release can
become very valuable to the Project.  Let's say that next year we hold
a Fudcon in Turkey, during the release of F12.  The Board might very
well decide to use its option to promote one spin from the pool to a
Released Spin for F12 by choosing a Turkish localized Spin, that help
promote Fedora at the event.

-jef