Spin Updates Policy Draft

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 20:48:31 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Jeremy Katz <katzj at redhat.com> wrote:
>  The actual release of a *release spin* involves the full brunt of
>  release testing.  Some of the release criteria cover it (not entirely)
>  and so we do a fair bit of testing to ensure that things like installing
>  still works including some of the variety around that.

Can the testing be described in enough detail so that a peer group can do this?
If manpower is the underlying concern, I'm not against blocking on
this until additional community manpower can be found to do it. But
releng has to be okay with community doing the testing, blocking until
installs works and then unblocking again.  If this proposal goes
through we're already going to be blocking on the establishment of a
peer review to even get access to the trademarks.  I would expect that
its in that group's best interest to do the testing necessary for
install issues to even get access to the trademarks.

>  The other thing that is almost guaranteed to be a problem in an "update"
>  is getting things to fit.  If it's a CD sized live image, then it's a
>  constant struggle to fit.

I tried to cover this. If the maintainers can't keep the update under
the size limit of the target media original release.. full stop.

-jef