Fedora and Google search: the final report

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 23:08:18 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-13 at 13:52 -0800, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 11:42 AM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  What if, as part of this new "community grid" project (which I like
> >  calling "Trellis"), we offered people the ability to pitch in with the
> >  web-crawling duties?  This is not limited to just Fedora users, but
> >  here's one possibility:  Installing user sees firstboot module providing
> >  Trellis.  User opts in, then from a menu of system resource donations,
> >  selects either (1) "wikia," or (2) "Fedora, I trust you, use this time
> >  for whatever you like," which maps to a certain proporation of donation
> >  for wikia (published somewhere, with a link).
> >
> >  This isn't purely about CPU cycles anymore, but it's still worth
> >  considering.
>

> Actually cycles to support wikia indexing makes a lot more sense to me
> than packaging building.
> If only we had a more solid relationship with NSF so that we could get
> specific science research ideas on board quickly.  Actually...
>
> Paul when are you going to DC for that conference?  If I found someone
> from NSF for you to talk to about Fedora as a technology base for
> computational science would you be interested?  If we make an
> investment into this sort of grid, it might not hurt to beat NSF and
> NIH over the head about it...repeatedly.

The first week of April, if memory serves, is FOSE, a big federal
government expo for IT.  It may not be the best place for us to find
individual contributors or a lot of .org's, but Fedora is really big
throughout the DC area .gov's (even if you can't tell from Netcraft).
I'd be happy to talk to someone there.  Shoot me some mail off list and
let's discuss so I can get some additional context.