Fedora Board Recap 2008-MAR-18

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 16:42:28 UTC 2008

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Board/Meetings/2008-03-18

== Roll Call ==

Attendees: Matt Domsch, Karsten Wade, Paul Frields, Steve Dickson, John
Poelstra, Seth Vidal, Bill Nottingham, Chris Aillon, Dennis Gilmore

Regrets: Jef Spaleta, Bob McWirther

== Followup to Previous Business ==

=== Secondary Arch Hosting (2008-02-19) ===
  * Can Fedora host binaries for secondary architectures?
    * Change from original proposal
  * makes it easier to get new mirrors and use mirror manager
  * DECISION: board approves of Fedora hosting binaries for secondary
architectures
  * '''FOLLOWUP 2008-02-26'''
    * Infrastructure group raising issue with lack of space
    * Are distribution methods a concern for growing secondary
architectures?
    * OWNERS: Seth and Matt; Spot also assisting
    * ACTIONS: reach out to existing relationships and pursue storage
opportunities
    * '''FOLLOWUP 2008-03-04'''
      * Seth to do more followup with BU--potentially 150G
      * Spot reports 450G from HP
      * '''RESOLVED on 2008-03-18'''
        * The board supports using resources for this purpose and leaves
discretion for space usage to the Fedora Infrastructure group
        * The board also supports an infrastructure decision of 'sorry,
can't do that now - not enough space' if that is the case too
        * Board members will continue to pursue additional opportunities
for storage space with different vendors

=== Post-release updates of custom spins (2008-01-29) ===
  * Should the board have to approve them?
  * We will hosts as many spins as we have space for
  * Need to determine the hosting requirements and limits
  * How long will spins stay around?
  * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/RahulSundaram/SpinsProcess
  * ACTION: Jef to review Rahul's proposal and report back to board
  * OWNER: Jef Spaleta
     * '''FOLLOWUP on 2008-03-18'''
     * Jef was unable to attend today--deferred to next meeting.

=== Codeina (2008-02-26) ===
  * Still not comfortable that we are pointing people to content that is
not "Free and Open Source software"
  * Cannot suitably fix codeina in the Fedora 9 time frame
  * ACTIONS:
     1. Review email thread:
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2007-November/msg00050.html
     1. Move discussion to fedora-advisory-board list to formulate a
solution there
     1. Propose patching out other for sale non-free plugins
     1. Bill Nottingham to make sure that live spin includes codeina
correctly
  * '''FOLLOWUP on 2008-03-11'''
    * Majority board vote in favor of patching out all other ''for
sale'' non-free plugins leaving the freely available mp3 codec
      1. Three members absent
      1. One abstention
    * Paul to check with codeina maintainer (Bastien Nocera) and Fluendo
(Thomas Vander Stichele)
    * Paul to send followup to fedora-advisory-board-list
    * '''FOLLOWUP on 2008-03-18'''
      * Discussion of past week's events in blogs and
fedora-advisory-board list
      * Several different philosophical viewpoints on the board
      * It appears that the board itself needs to further refine its
philosophical beliefs
        * This should provide clearer guidance in the future for making
decisions like this
        * Could we tie-in to marketing plan that marketing SIG is
working to give greater focus and backing?
      * Impasse seems to center around "Free Software" vs. "Customer
Usability"
      * Take discussion to fedora-advisory-board
         1) What to do w/ codeina package?
            a) remove the orphaned package from Fedora" --
https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/users/packages/orphan
            b) include a new package to do what original intention was
         2) What should guiding philosophies of the board and Fedora be?
      * Does the issue with swfdec-mozilla, on top of the community
discontent, show that we are not having enough communication with FESCo?
      * We need to find the balance between FESCo issues and Board
issues and make sure we're empowering them to decide matters when needed.

== New Business ==

=== GPLv2 distribution ===
  * Fedora distributes under section 3a and not section 3b
  * ACTIONS:
     * Paul Frields to send link to Ambassadors providing guidance on
compliance
     * http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Legal/Distribution

== Future Business (discuss at a future meeting) ==

=== Next Meeting ===
  * Date: 2008-03-25
  * Time: 14:00 EDT