Fedora Board Recap 2008-MAR-18
poelstra at redhat.com
Thu Mar 20 16:42:28 UTC 2008
== Roll Call ==
Attendees: Matt Domsch, Karsten Wade, Paul Frields, Steve Dickson, John
Poelstra, Seth Vidal, Bill Nottingham, Chris Aillon, Dennis Gilmore
Regrets: Jef Spaleta, Bob McWirther
== Followup to Previous Business ==
=== Secondary Arch Hosting (2008-02-19) ===
* Can Fedora host binaries for secondary architectures?
* Change from original proposal
* makes it easier to get new mirrors and use mirror manager
* DECISION: board approves of Fedora hosting binaries for secondary
* '''FOLLOWUP 2008-02-26'''
* Infrastructure group raising issue with lack of space
* Are distribution methods a concern for growing secondary
* OWNERS: Seth and Matt; Spot also assisting
* ACTIONS: reach out to existing relationships and pursue storage
* '''FOLLOWUP 2008-03-04'''
* Seth to do more followup with BU--potentially 150G
* Spot reports 450G from HP
* '''RESOLVED on 2008-03-18'''
* The board supports using resources for this purpose and leaves
discretion for space usage to the Fedora Infrastructure group
* The board also supports an infrastructure decision of 'sorry,
can't do that now - not enough space' if that is the case too
* Board members will continue to pursue additional opportunities
for storage space with different vendors
=== Post-release updates of custom spins (2008-01-29) ===
* Should the board have to approve them?
* We will hosts as many spins as we have space for
* Need to determine the hosting requirements and limits
* How long will spins stay around?
* ACTION: Jef to review Rahul's proposal and report back to board
* OWNER: Jef Spaleta
* '''FOLLOWUP on 2008-03-18'''
* Jef was unable to attend today--deferred to next meeting.
=== Codeina (2008-02-26) ===
* Still not comfortable that we are pointing people to content that is
not "Free and Open Source software"
* Cannot suitably fix codeina in the Fedora 9 time frame
1. Review email thread:
1. Move discussion to fedora-advisory-board list to formulate a
1. Propose patching out other for sale non-free plugins
1. Bill Nottingham to make sure that live spin includes codeina
* '''FOLLOWUP on 2008-03-11'''
* Majority board vote in favor of patching out all other ''for
sale'' non-free plugins leaving the freely available mp3 codec
1. Three members absent
1. One abstention
* Paul to check with codeina maintainer (Bastien Nocera) and Fluendo
(Thomas Vander Stichele)
* Paul to send followup to fedora-advisory-board-list
* '''FOLLOWUP on 2008-03-18'''
* Discussion of past week's events in blogs and
* Several different philosophical viewpoints on the board
* It appears that the board itself needs to further refine its
* This should provide clearer guidance in the future for making
decisions like this
* Could we tie-in to marketing plan that marketing SIG is
working to give greater focus and backing?
* Impasse seems to center around "Free Software" vs. "Customer
* Take discussion to fedora-advisory-board
1) What to do w/ codeina package?
a) remove the orphaned package from Fedora" --
b) include a new package to do what original intention was
2) What should guiding philosophies of the board and Fedora be?
* Does the issue with swfdec-mozilla, on top of the community
discontent, show that we are not having enough communication with FESCo?
* We need to find the balance between FESCo issues and Board
issues and make sure we're empowering them to decide matters when needed.
== New Business ==
=== GPLv2 distribution ===
* Fedora distributes under section 3a and not section 3b
* Paul Frields to send link to Ambassadors providing guidance on
== Future Business (discuss at a future meeting) ==
=== Next Meeting ===
* Date: 2008-03-25
* Time: 14:00 EDT
More information about the fedora-advisory-board