naming discussion for Fedora community grid project (previously aka Fedora at Home)

Jeffrey Ollie jeff at ocjtech.us
Fri Mar 28 03:12:36 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 3:59 PM, Bryan Che <bche at redhat.com> wrote:

>  Please provide input on names.

As nice as the PDF is in explaining the concepts, it's difficult to
hit reply and insert inline comments on a PDF.  I've cut and pasted
the list of names here and included my comments:

FEDORA DYNAMO
FEDORA TURBINE
PROJECT TURBINE
FEDORA WAVE HUB
FEDORA WINDFARM

Don't care for any of these.

FEDORA POWERFARM

Fedora Powerfarm isn't too bad.

HORSE HOLLOW

Kind of a quirky name, but if we're going to name it after a wind
farm, I'd rather use Altamont.  The Altamont Pass Wind Farm is not
very far from the Altamont Speedway where the infamous 1969 free
concert organized by the Rolling Stones [1] was held.  Going with
Altamont gives us a little more pop culture cachet than Horse Hollow
would.

POTENTIAL ENERGY PROJECT
FEDORA ENERGY CONVERTER
FEDORA POWER CONVERTER

Sounds too anti-Environmental.

THE FEDORA DREAM PROJECT

DREAMSCAPE

Dreamscape is already in use in a number of other contexts, although
not specifically in any open source project that I could find.

REM CYCLE
FEDORA NIGHTLIGHT / NIGHTLIFE
FEDORA POWERNAP
SLEEPWALKER
FEDORA DELTA WAVES - Delta waves are the main characteristic of deep sleep
SIESTA
FEDORA SHEPHERD - Counting sheep?
CATNAP
SANDMAN
SLEEPOVER or SLUMBER PARTY

Except for "Fedora Delta Waves" I don't like the sleep theme.  I don't
think I'd vote specifically for "Fedora Delta Waves" but I'd be
interested in seeing some expansion on that theme.

FEDORA KARMA COMMUNITY
FEDORA KARMIC COMMUNITY

These remind me too much of "Karma Chameleon" , the 1980's song from
The Culture Club[2].

FEDORA NIRVANA
THE KARMIC CLOUD
FEDORA KARMA

Can't say I care much for the "karma" theme.

INSTANT KARMA

This is the name of a song by John Lennon, and given the title of
section 3 I'd bet you all knew that.  If John Lennon were alive today
he probably wouldn't mind but I bet that the corporate types that
control his intellectual property now would.

FEDORA KARMA-PHALA

Phala may be Sanskrit for "fruit" but it's just too similar to
"phallus" and similar words.

KISMET

Already the name of an open source project[3]

FEDORA BOOMERANG

Boomerang is also already the name of an open source project[4]

MANY HAPPY RETURNS

A little too vague.

FEDORA KARMIC DREAM
KARMA CYCLE

No, because of the "karma" theme.

FEDORA COMMUNITY COMPUTING

A little too "corporate" but not too bad.

FEDORA GROUPTHINK

Too "1984".  Plus, the introductory sentence from the Wikipedia
article on groupthink[5] doesn't leave me with warm fuzzies:

       Groupthink is a type of thought exhibited by group members
       who try to minimize conflict and reach consensus without
       critically testing, analyzing, and evaluating ideas.

FEDORA HUDDLE

Don't really care for this one either.

FEDORA SWARM INTELLIGENCE
FEDORA CROWD WISDOM
FEDORA GROUP INTELLIGENCE

These three seem very similar to Fedora Groupthink, and are bad for
the same reason.

FEDORA COINTELLIGENCE

When I first read this name I thought that it was COIN-TELLIGENCE and
not CO-INTELLIGENGE as I suspect was intended.

So that leaves me with "Altamont", "Fedora Powerfarm", something
related to "Fedora Delta Waves" or "Fedora Community Computing".

Jeff

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altamont_Free_Concert
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karma_Chameleon
[3] http://www.kismetwireless.net/