Spins

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Sat Nov 1 13:58:56 UTC 2008

Chris Tyler wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 11:54 -0700, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 13:27 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
>>> Having said that, Sugar and OLPC are a pretty big deal.  The spin has been
>>> approved by the board and is (or will be) an official spin.
>> Small comment.  The board gave the Sugar spin the approval to use the
>> Fedora brand.  This doesn't automatically mean that it'll become a
>> produced and hosted spin in binary format.  All it means is that the
>> spin KS config can live in the spin-kickstarts repo and use the Fedora
>> branding should somebody create the binary spin from the config.  It
>> would still have to have a Feature proposed and approved by the spins
>> SIG and by releng before it would be an official spin.
>
> I agree: trademark approval does not automatically mean that the spin
> will be hosted and distributed by Fedora infrastructure. I can imagine
> that we'll eventually have a much larger number of trademark-approved
> spins than we'll want to host and distribute -- h&d decisions should be
> made by some combination of the spins SIG, releng, and infra.

I share the idea of having much more trademark approved (and
non-trademark approved "debranded") spin concepts in the spin-kickstarts
repository, and in the spin-kickstarts package, then Fedora will ever be
able to compose, A the Q, host and distribute.

> We need to decide terminology here: we have "official spin", "unofficial
> spin", and "remix" floating around. "Unofficial spin" is sometimes being
> used the way I think "remix" was intended to be used, meaning something
> that doesn't have approval to use the primary trademark.
>
> Can we settle on:
>
> - "Remix" for "not approved to use the Fedora trademark" (but eligible
> to use the secondary mark). I don't think these will normally be hosted
> by Fedora.
>
> - "Spin" for "trademark-approved", further subdivided into:
> -- "Unofficial spin" (trademark-approved but has not gone through the
> Features process, and not h&d by Fedora)
> -- "Offical spin" (trademark-approved and has gone through the Features
> processs, h&d by Fedora)

Eventually, the spin-kickstarts package will need to distinguish between
(official) fedora spins, localized spins and community spins, which may
be another answer to the problem of terminology, I think. In the end,
they're all remixes and spins.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip