Spins

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Mon Nov 3 02:03:33 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2 Nov 2008, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:

> On Fri, 2008-10-31 at 13:27 -0500, Mike McGrath wrote:
>
> >  Fedora's policies and procedures are far from
> > perfect, but they are there.  If you don't like them change them but don't
> > think Infrastructure is going to route around what has been put in place.
>
> I think the Sugar spin was also the victim of bad timing, which is why I
> would consider requesting/recommending an _exception_ to the rule.  It's
> OK to break rules, as long as it is known, discussed, and approved.  I
> agree, we do not want people (un)intentionally gaming our system.

It was in great timing for F11.

> My recollection of Board discussions around space and bandwidth hogs
> such as spins and secondary archs are pretty clear -- we were very much
> in favor of space/band usage being the sole discretion of Infrastructure
> in consultation with Release Engineering.  If that is not clear, let's
> make it so.
>
> So, what I see here instead is that you _do_ have the final say on this,
> and you are asking f-a-b if "no" is a big deal from a Project
> perspective.  I don't see that you have to ask permission.  I also
> appreciate that you are asking for this guidance, just in case it is a
> big deal, etc.

I guess it seems foriegn to me that the Infrastructure team would decide
whether or not something like this gets hosted from a policy point of
view.  Imagine a more traditional organization where business partners and
execs have gotten together for a new $SUPER_COOL_PRODUCT.  They get to
their IT department who then says "no".  Not because they can't, but
because they shouldn't.  Afterall, what does the IT department know about
$SUPER_COOL_PRODUCT?

This is how I feal about the sugar spin.  I don't know anything about it
other then it's partially approved.  I know there have been concerns in
the past about keeping control of branding.  The board said they can call
this spin Fedora.  If it gets on our alt mirror with no QA and it sucks,
that's bad for Fedora.  Though I guess February isn't that far away (when
F11 and this spin would be built according to the normal timeline of
things.

But in the interest of having someone do it, we'll just start hosting
stuff we think should be hosted and if someone has a problem with
something we're hosting let us know.

	-Mike