LWN subscriptions.. update.

Josh Boyer jwboyer at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 21:16:01 UTC 2008

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 12:01:09PM -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
>I've been sitting on this for a while and It's just slipped my mind.
>
>Okay so we started with 75 lwn subscriptions, right now we have 71 in
>use... with no one waiting.
>
>Now out of those 71 subscriptions... several haven't been used in  6+ months.
>
>Here's what I want to do.
>
>I want to do call out for new contributors interested in a
>subscription.  Filling subscriptions on a first come first serve
>basis.
>
>If there are more than 4 people interested I want to cull the current
>subscribers with 6+ months of inactivity as of today's record and give
>those subscriptions to the new people. Culling inactive subscribers
>from most inactive forward.
>
>I'd like to repeat this again in about 6 months.
>
>Thoughts?

What are you using to gather "inactivity" metrics?  I have a subscription
account that I very rarely sign into because LWN has an RSS feed that
typically gives me all the information I need.  However, I do use the
subscriber account if something pops up in my RSS feed that sufficiently
interests me to actually start a web browswer and sign in to see the
subscriber only content.

Oh, and it's not a Fedora subscriber account.  I'm just curious.

josh