Fedora 11 schedule proposal

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Thu Nov 13 17:11:29 UTC 2008

Jeremy Katz wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-11-11 at 16:11 -0800, Jesse Keating wrote:
>> Fedora releases typically have a 6 month development cycle.  We target
>> specific dates for the release to give developers, end users, and
>> upstreams a target to shoot for.  Typically any slipping of a release we
>> do, we just shorten the next release to make up for it.  However a
>> month's time is quite a lot to shrink.  Especially because of the
>> significance of F11.
>
> FWIW, the past slippage of a month that we had, we made up the month
> over the course of 2 release cycles to help reduce the impact to each
> individual release.

I think the schedules and processes have matured a lot from the release
before Fedora 8 and I'm not sure they are as valid for comparison now.

* Fedora 8 slipped overall by approximately one week.  We still set a
~5/1 GA date for F9
* Fedora 9 slipped two weeks total.  We set an F10 GA date of ~ Oct 31.
* So far Fedora 10 has slipped by four weeks.  After the infrastructure
incident we slipped by three weeks.  Another week was added when we
missed the beta freeze.

John