Spins

Mike McGrath mmcgrath at redhat.com
Fri Oct 31 18:27:33 UTC 2008

So we've got a problem.  In particular this deals with the Sugar spin.
This spin was not submitted in time for the Fedora 10 release, if it were
we wouldn't have a problem.  I hark on that because it feels like a lot of
people try to get away with bypassing the freeze.  Creating features like
a spin require commitment, responsibility and accountability. Not getting
features in prior to the feature freeze is irresponsible and, IMHO, a
reason to have to wait until the next release.

Having said that, Sugar and OLPC are a pretty big deal.  The spin has been
approved by the board and is (or will be) an official spin.  We have
hosting for unofficial spins.  I know this delineation seems very minor
"well if you have hosting for unofficial spins, why not just host this
official spin there"

The reason is the accountability I mentioned earlier.  There's a lot going
on in Fedora right now.  There are a lot of hosting options in Fedora
Infrastructure.  Each were designed and built for a specific purpose.  But
I cannot allow one part of our infrastructure to be a "route around point"
for other parts of our infrastructure.

This is a small but important detail.  I'd like to make an exception for
OLPC and the Sugar build.  I know not the reasons this build did not make
the feature freeze but they did not.  When they asked for space on Fedora
People they were told no.  So they kept asking around until someone
increased their space on Fedora People and I had to be the bad guy.

So here's what I'd propose.  For now we'll host the unofficial Sugar spin
at our alt.fedoraproject.org/pub/ site until it gets built as an official
spin which, according to releng, will be the F11 alpha.  I'm pushing the
responsibility of this decision on to FAB because if it were up to me, I'd
say no.

If the tone of this email sounds harsh please note it is not directed at
the Sugar Spin people, this kind of stuff has happened before and we just
can't have it anymore.  Fedora's policies and procedures are far from
perfect, but they are there.  If you don't like them change them but don't
think Infrastructure is going to route around what has been put in place.

Since there doesn't seem to be any official decision making process for
FAB, I'll wait until Monday and if the +1's out weigh the -1's then I'll
get it copied and hosted.

	-Mike