Fedora- Ireland Website?

Ian Weller ianweller at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 02:06:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 02:06:26PM -0400, Seth Vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-09-15 at 12:22 -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 05:35:26PM +0100, Frank Murphy wrote:
> > > Going back to school on Tuesday.
> > > Will have to create a website as part of it,
> > > using whatever app is specified.
> > >
> > > Rather than creating a fictitious site,
> > >  was thinking of putting together a fedora-Ireland site.
> > > Which after the schooling could be used,
> > > a basis for Ireland\Fedora users.
> > >
> > > Looking for some feedback on the idea (1), and the use of the name
> > > fedora (2) in a registered domain.
> >
> > I would worry about the long-term implications of such.  For my part,
> > when I was in school, projects I did rarely lived longer than the end
> > of finals week.  As the Infrastructure and Websites teams will attest,
> > maintaining a useful website takes long-term effort.
> >
> > I'm also unclear what special needs the subset of the Fedora community
> > which may consitute "Ireland Fedora users" would have, different from
> > the global Fedora community, which would be worth the investment in
> > creating such a new site / subgroup.   Could such be accomplished
> > using existing Fedora infrastructure?  Would that also meet the needs
> > of your class assignment?
> >
> > If the class calls for using Microsoft FrontPage or Macromedia
> > Dreamweaver, there may be little overlap between the site you're
> > developing, and the community you would be promoting.
> >
> > I'd also be surprised if your professor required you to register a
> > domain name.  I'd be less surprised if you were expected to create
> > this "site" within your own webspace on your school's servers.  Such a
> > local, somewhat temporary (expires when you leave school or the class
> > ends) "fan site" should not require trademark approval.  But if you're
> > going to put in the effort to sustain this long-term, then a domain
> > and approval would make sense.
> >

> I think ian weller had some good comments about this - b/c we've run
> into similar situations the spanish-speaking fedora sites.
>
> We're moving toward language_code.fedoraproject.org  and allowing people
> who want to maintain translations/resources to work from there -
>
> Ian, would you like to comment on the above?

Frank, it's great that you're thinking of Fedora amidst your school
work. I do it daily :D  However, seeing that we're going to not only
have a translated version of our main website, but also be working with
our translation team on getting as much of the wiki translated as
possible (or at least what *should* be translated, mostly
documentation), it would seem to be redundant to have another Fedora
Ireland website out there.

However, seeing that the Irish Fedora community that will arise from our
website will mostly be translators or documentation writers
(contributors, in general), there's not as much "community" as I think
you're going for here.

It *may* be appropriate to get trademark approval from the Board and
setup a more community-like website, potentially with a bulletin board,
or what have you, but *not* as something that could detract contributors
(translators, docs writers, etc) from *our* website. I believe that
unless we are planning (secretly? o O) to produce our own forums in
every language that we also have a website in, it seems that third
parties should be able to do what we're not with our website.

Speaking of which -- from what I can tell on
translate.fedoraproject.org, we could use a translation team leader for
the Irish language. :)

Given this, I'll let the board decide on trademark approval, and
hopefully this will be thought through thoroughly. Frank, could you give
us a potential outline of how you would lay out the website, so that we
can make sure that it's not potentially conflicting or competing with a
potential Irish translation of Fedora's website and wiki?

--
Ian Weller <ianweller at gmail.com>                  http://ianweller.org
GnuPG fingerprint:  E51E 0517 7A92 70A2 4226  B050 87ED 7C97 EFA8 4A36