Planning Post F10 Elections

Nigel Jones dev at nigelj.com
Tue Sep 23 13:17:17 UTC 2008

Hi everyone,

With the last slip of the Fedora 10 release I've noticed we are getting
dangerously close to Christmas to hold the usual round of post election
votes, from what I can tell the following are on the cards:

* FAmSCo (Ambassadors)
* Fedora Board
* Fedora 11 Release Name
* FESCo (Engineering)
* FLSCo (Translation)

It's all technically a matter of timing, there is technically no reason
why all (or majority) of those votes can't be held at the exact same
time, it might be considered beneficial to hold FAmSCo, FESCo, and FLSCo
elections at the same time for instance.

It'd appear problems could arise in cases where someone may wish to
stand for both *SCo and Board simultaneously and only accept one
nomination.

Now, I'd assume that this situation would be fairly rare, and in these
cases we could have the situation where a candidate says "If I get both
nominations, I'll only accept the one for X", my question is, is this
acceptable to _you_.

>From an administration POV, it'd be best if that's the case there is at
least a day or so between the *SCo and Board elections (time for
announcements etc to be made), on the other hand, if the above is
suitable, they could all be held on the same time period.

>From a schedule POV here it is at the moment.

Based on Jesse's e-mail to fedora-devel-announce
(https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-announce/2008-September/msg00015.html) if the slip is approved by FESCo, Fedora 10 will be released on 25 November.

This means the next logical dates to hold an election would be between
30th November (Sunday) and 17th December (Wednesday - 8 days before
Christmas).  This is just over 2 weeks, assuming that F10 doesn't slip
again.  The other option is holding them over the New Year, however,
remember that people in the Southern Hemisphere typically have a large
Summer holiday period up until Feb.

I'm not here to dictate when you can/can't hold elections though, but
I'm looking at the interest of the community and getting the best
possible turnout.

So, what do you guys think?  Are there any reasons why this window may
not work? (Major holiday periods etc)

- Nigel Jones

(P.S. I'm only on F-A-B, so I'd appreciate CC's, although I will try to
keep an eye on archives etc, also I realize it's quite early, but it'd
mean we can all go into the process knowing when)

--
Nigel Jones <dev at nigelj.com>