Downstream remix announcements

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Sep 29 13:24:30 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-09-29 at 06:18 -0700, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-09-28 at 19:36 +0530, "Sankarshan (সঙ্কর্ষণ)" wrote:
> > Paul W. Frields wrote:
> >
> > > I've asked the Board to see whether any sort of policy is needed on
> > > downstream Fedora remix project announcements in official Fedora
> > > channels like the low-traffic announce lists.  As always we encourage
> > > community input and participation in the discussion.
> >
> > Do we anticipate a need for a policy for announcements ? As in, do we
> > anticipate specific corner cases ?
>
> I think the concern is simply, the remixes and communities around them
> are likely to grow with the simplification of the trademark guidelines.
> Having every downstream remix announce to f-announce-l might overwhelm
> the low-volume list.  Another way to look at it is, should we allow RHEL
> and CentOS release announcements on f-announce-l?  Where do we draw the
> line?

oh cmon. it 'might overwhelm the low-volume list'? Why don't we see what
happens? If we find we get hundreds of posts due to the dramatic variety
of things people are doing with fedora, well, then I'll cry a thousand
tears and we can address it but taking preemptive action for something
seems kneejerk.

-sv