PackageKit Codeina replacement and Fluendo

Jon Stanley jonstanley at gmail.com
Mon Sep 29 19:04:23 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:

> Whether or not there is room for our content regarding plugins is an
> interesting question, and I think there is room before PK goes off and
> searches for suitable providers.  However I'm almost 100% certain that
> the board voted to remove references to fluendo's store.

I'm also nearly certain that the Board voted to remove references to
Fluendo, I'll see if I can find the minutes from the meeting where
they did so. However, here's my personal opinion on the topic:

I'm cool with (and encourage) something saying "hey, you don't have
the right codecs to play this, they're non-free, here's why non-free
codecs are bad". What I'm *NOT* OK with is directing folks at Fluendo
(or any other store) to purchase them, for a few reasons:

1) It creates a "endorsement" from the Fedora project
2) People in certain parts of the world can get the equivalent
functionality in free software, legally.

Simply because we cannot distribute the free software doesn't mean
that it's not out there, and some people (just not including myself)
can legally use it. We obviously can't point folks to it, though.